Monday, April 13, 2009

Paying $4000 to Teach Myself?

I am a little frustrated with one of my classes this semester. I was really looking forward to learning the material so that I could use it at work now and in the future when counseling patients. As the semester started, I had great plans that I would learn a lot of new information that I could share and practice. I thought the class was going to be invaluable. The format of the class is new this year but the teacher is not. The teacher is very intelligent and a great person

Then the class started. It started off rocky, like most new classes do. I gave it some time to get used to and have been working my butt off to keep up and do well. I read the book, take notes, make charts, study, the whole bit. I attend every lecture and group day yet feel like I have learned nearly nothing from the teacher. I feel like the teacher is not really teaching and that I am having to teach myself the entire course. This makes the class difficult let alone hard to relate any of the course material. I am disappointed because I am finding it hard to use and practice what I am studying since a book can take course information so far.

I know it is the students responsibility to learn the information but why students paying $4000 (plus $150 for the book) to teach themselves a course? I can memorize facts but if I do not understand them they mean nothing to me and I will never be able to use them. Students are responsible for their own learning but I think that teachers are also responsible to teach. If one party is doing everything and the other party is doing very little the two will never make a connection. It is mostly frustrating for me because I was prepared for a phenomenal class in which I would learn a lot of practical information but have failed to really learn and understand as much as I would have liked.

Too bad college does not come with a 100% satisfaction or money guarantee.

No comments: