Monday, February 28, 2011

The Government Shut Down Affects Drake Students

I fly to Washington DC this week as my next rotation is in DC with the FDA. I am VERY excited but extremely nervous. I have been worrying about packing, about transportation and about finances while I am there. Now there is something new for me to worry about.

If the government ceased its operations next month because Congress failed to pass a spending bill to keep it running past March 4, hundreds of thousands of government contractors, including the FDA, who provide a host of essential services would share the burden.

The likely scenario is a hard shutdown, during which federal and contract workers are furloughed. In this scenario, security guards would block employees from entering their buildings. Workers would be prohibited from volunteering their services and would be advised not to continue working under the false assumption that the financial terms could be worked out later.

My preceptor at the FDA already emailed me: "If congress doesn't fund the government and we shut down your rotation will not start on March 7th but will start when the government re-opens. If it does shut down we will mostly likely only be delayed by a couple of days or a week at most"

I may get a few extra days to explore DC?

Better just keep my ears/eyes on the news.
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=15&sid=2288303

No comments: