Sunday, July 20, 2008

Second Guessing Geriatric Pharmacy Practice

Per new Iowa state standards, a portion of the pharmacy curriculum at Drake includes over 400 hours in your first three years of the professional program of unpaid pharmacy practice. Out side of class you have to complete "IPPE" hours as we call them, in a variety of settings including some time at a retail pharmacy, some time in a hospital, some time with the elderly, some time with diverse populations, etc.

First semester of my P1 year I completed 40 hours at a retail pharmacy...which actually landed me my summer internship. Second semester my P1 year I completed over 20 hours at a senior center down the street from Drake. I was slightly nervous to be set up in a one to one friendship with an elderly person because sometimes older folks are bitter at the world, especially younger generations, like when they rant about how good we 'young' have it and how little we appreciate life anymore. Moreso I was nervous that I would not be able to connect with the elderly person or find no common ground to talk about.

WRONG! I was paired up with an older woman named Wilma (what a GREAT name). We were both shy at first but over the weeks we became great friends. My patient, really my new friend, had a phenomenal memory in that she remembered stories, names, appointments, what she had for breakfast, you name it. She worked on crosswords to keep her mind sharp she told me. Wilma and I were so happy to spend time together that my first few visits were long and I asked so many questions that Wilma told me I wore her out and that we would have to plan shorter but more frequent visits.

We started attending the Bingo games regularly together where Wilma felt she had to show me off as HER "Drake Friend" and she introduced me to her friends. As I became a part of the group I realized that almost every third lady at the retirement home was named "Dorothy" (as I have always known my name is old and everyone's grandma or great aunt's name is Dorothy). I also learned that people grow up but they forever stay the same as the ladies gossiped about one another (not behind one another's back anymore because they all had hearing aids) and gave each other the silent treatment for days after petty arguments over how Bingo numbers should be called.

Even after my service hours for the semester were complete, I wanted to continue to visit the Wilma because she made me feel so appreciated and valued that it was well worth it for me. Since I was staying in Des Moines for the summer, that was even better. I told the coordinator of the center that I would not make empty promises to show up and I never did. I got to attend Las Vegas night with the residents and and afternoon tea. My visits became farther spread apart as class and my job were priorities. However, each time I visited Wilma kept telling me how happy she was to see me.

This past weekend I missed a visit to the senior center as I went home for the first time this summer. I went in yesterday to catch up with Wilma and the ladies. I walked in as Bingo was starting and did not see Wilma, so I figured she was still in her room and that I would go get her. I went to Wilma's room and found it completely empty...no furniture, no people, no nothing. I ran to the nurses station to find out if Wilma had been moved to another room or to another senior center but found out the worst. Only 3 days earlier, Wilma had passed away during a nap due to breathing complications. My heart dropped, my eyes swelled up, and I froze full of anger, sadness and every other feeling. My friend was gone, so quickly, just gone....

Through my great experiences at the center I had been thinking about practicing pharmacy in a geriatric setting as a possible career option. I still think the job would be rewarding but due to the nature of the patients I do not know if I can deal with loosing patients but more importantly friends on a regular basis.

God Bless and Forever in my memory,
Wilma Roorda (1921-2008)

No comments: