Monday, April 4, 2011

How to Conquer a Defeatist Attitude

I need some help with my defeating attitude about my career (or lack of) right now. I seem to be getting frustrated with myself as more and more pharmacy students are talking about the residencies they have for the next year or the definite plans (more education or a job) they have made already. When it comes to my career after graduation, I feel like I am in an empty room with a blindfold on. I decided that I needed some help with my defeating attitude so I thought of some advice.

Conquer a Defeatist Attitude:

1. Belittle the worrisome idea or issue. To make the BIG issue seem smaller, ask "So what is the worst that will happen if ---- happens?"

2. Take action. What can you do today that will help you with the worrisome thoughts/ideas?

3. Make small goals that lead to larger goals that will allow you to conquer the defeating attitude.

4. Incorporate a positive attitude, even if you do not believe it today. Enough use of optimism can create a positive attitude eventually.

5. Spend more time thinking about how to conquer the defeated attitude rather than time about how you have failed.

Any other advice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about what everyone else is doing... Follow your own path.

If the circumstances allow... Embrace unemployment as an opportunity to plant unmarked seeds and watch your garden grow.