Monday, January 24, 2011

Folk Remedies

I started to feel sick last Friday and still feel crappy today. I have the runny nose, watery eyes, cough, sneezing, stuffy head and fatigue. I HATE being sick, as does everyone else. And NO, just because I am in pharmacy school does not mean I do not get sick or have a pill to take to magically get myself better.

I told a women that I was not feeling well and she told me to rub Vick's vapor rub on my feet which would help with my cough. Hard to believe that would cure my cough; however, it has been proven that the sole of the foot absorbs topicals very well.

So I looked up some other folk remedies and found some interesting treatments:


To get rid of freckles, rub a live frog on your face.

Passing a child under the belly of a horse three times can cure a child's cough.

To cure insomnia one should rub their temple with cat fat or eat chicken cooked with milkweed. Another cure for insomnia was to smoke a mixture of black tobacco, toad powder, and honey.

To treat mosquito bites, at one point or another all of these cures were popular; rub the bites with vinegar, oil, butter, onion, garlic, or lemon peel and the blow on them.

Drinking red pepper tea or using dried pepper in your stockings will cure the chills.

To cure an earache several cures were fashionable including plugging the ears with s shelled snail or a slice of warmed bacon. Other popular cures included pouring pig's milk, warm oil, or the sap of a male ash tree on or in the ear.

To cure a sore throat the afflicted was supposed to rub the soles of their feet with an ointment made with garlic cooked in lard.

Pierced ears were believed to ward off ear troubles.

Put earwax in your mouth to dull the pain of a toothache or burn.

No comments: