Saturday, February 28, 2009

Can You Tell Me What You Know?

My new quote:
"It does not matter how much you know if you cannot communicate what you know."

I have realized that if I cannot express myself or my knowledge I look really stupid to teachers, peers, interviewers, family, etc. Who will seek advice from someone that cannot tell you what they are thinking? Who will ask a pharmacist for information when that pharmacist talks all high level science or is uncomfortable talking to people? Who will hire a person that cannot describe their strengths. What employer will hold onto an employee that cannot communicate well with management or coworkers?

From being a TA over the past two semesters and going through numerous interviews, it has become much more apparent to me of how wide the range of communication abilities are among individuals. Some people may know a wealth of information about a topic but are just not good communicators. The Einstein's of the world have so much to share with people but sometimes they do not know how. To the world, these people will never know much if they cannot communicate it. I know a lot of REALLY smart people, including professors, scientists, students and philosophers but sometimes they cannot explain to me what they know or how they feel. In these situations, these people seem unintelligent even though they may be one of the brightest people. Many times I know that students understand a specific topic but I find that they cannot explain that concept to me. When they cannot explain what they know, it seems like they do not know anything at all. A good example is a very intelligent doctor. If the doctor knows everything there is about medicine but he cannot explain that to his patient, in the patients' eyes that doctor does not know anything. If only we could extract the brain and see what people knew...

Communicating with people is relevant to every aspect of life. Relationships, careers, friendships, learning, etc. It is VERY important for everyone to have communication training and an understanding of how to effectively communicate with others no matter what their career or who they are. It just makes sense.

"It does not matter how much you know if you cannot communicate what you know."

No comments: