Saturday, September 6, 2008

What to do?

Over the past few days I have been worrying about my education, career, and life choices as well as where exactly I should be after graduation. Yes I know it is ridiculous considering I have almost 3 more years until I am done, but I feel that everyone around me is planning their lives. Actually I think about my future a lot since I over analyze most things and have been pushed since high school to know "what I want to be when I grow up". But my thoughts have gotten more intense since all of my friends are seniors and are talking about being done in a semester or so, moving on, getting jobs, getting married, having kids, etc. This is making me feel like I need to know what I will to do with my life, where it is going and what my plans are for the next 10 years or so.
Mentally, I am still in college mode; therefore, do not even have marriage or children on my mind. I know I will get married and have kids sometime but not in the near or intermediate future...at least not until after graduation. As to where I will be living, not positive yet. I know for the next 2 years I will be in Des Moines, for rotations I will be around the Midwest, and after graduation, probably around the Chicago area, since it is so great.

As for my career....this is where I am completely lost and I feel like I am the only one. Everyone always asks me 'What are you going to do with your degrees?" and I never really know what to say. I guess my problem is I feel like I have too many choices with my PharmD degree and am not really sure what my choices are with my joint PharmD/MBA degrees. As I continue through school and work experiences it seems that each time I eliminate one possibility, three more come up. For example, even though retail pharmacists make some of the highest salaries as pharmacists, through work experience I know I do not want to work as a retail pharmacist. Through other intern experiences and my new TA position I now am thinking about three new possibilities...teaching, research, or regulation. I am indecisive to begin with and more options just makes me more confused.
I am interested in all of these pathways and want to keep my future open. I feel like every decision I make from now on is going to determine part of my future and I worry that I might make the wrong decision or miss something I should be doing.

THEN....I force myself back to logical thinking. I remember that I have time to make up my mind, the rest of my life to figure out who I am and the opportunity to change my mind a few times. As much as I hate worrying about everything, being indecisive and feeling like I have not plan for the future, I know I have to remember...


"Even if you have too many options, be happy about them. They are always better than limitations"
"Being slow to make a decision is not always bad, as long as you eventual make a decision" "Live life now because worrying about the future will not guarantee it!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most people never really know what they are supposed to do. Shoot, I am out of school now over 5 years, went back and finished my masters, and still don't know what I want to do. I think life is about living and enjoying and trying different opportunities, expanding ones horizons, so my advice is to not worry. You know you will be successful in the future no matter what you do. You are soo driven and determined. What you should worry about now is making sure you have fun, do the things that make you happy, enjoy every minute of every day. Life is too short not to! Everything else will fall into place!

Anonymous said...

I agree with comment number 1. You're a great person with a great personality. You're future will be grand and will fall into place. Some people including myself have degrees and are temporarily not using them to raise a family, I couldn't be happier but know that I have it to fall back on in the future. There are other possibilities of going back to school now that there's time to think about what I really love and where I see myself, to further my education an MBA perhaps or go into a different direction. Life neither begins or ends after college, a path taken yes, with many more paths ahead.
Be happy and enjoy what you're doing and you'll know you're on the right path. If not, it's time for change.

Anonymous said...

by the way, don't get too carried away with the whole school's over, now what? thing. basically, everyone goes through it. for example, i have a social science education degree and work construction...i'm just saying that worrying doesn't help, so go get em, tiger

Anonymous said...

Girl, I always tell you this, there is no race to finish with life. Life is what happens while you're making these decisions and choices. Sometimes all you can do is take what you have and make the most of it. Even if you don't make the 'right' decision the first time around, eventually you'll figure out what you enjoy doing and that's what is the most important. Anyways, you'll find out after school's done that work is not everything in life. Figure out what you like to do outside of school and work. These things are the most fufilling. As about what job you should have, continue to job shadow. It's the only way you'll ever really find out if you like that field. Take a deep breath, study hard, but still go out and enjoy life.