Thursday, September 11, 2008

Do you remember this day?

It is crazy to think that the tragedies of 9/11 happened 7 years ago. This fact makes me realize how fast life flies by and how old I am getting. I was a freshman in high school when all the chaos and hurt occurred and now I am a senior in college. I remember the events of 9/11 so vividly that it feels as if it was only a few months ago. I am not sure why the details of that day were burned into my memory unlike any other memory.

I was sitting in my second period global history class at a table next to my friends names Chris. We had just started class as the teacher was handing back a geography quiz. A different teach stormed through the back door of the classroom and started saying, "turn on the TV, you have to see what is going on". The classroom had a huge projector screen (about 10ft x 12 ft) in the front of the class so the teacher turned on the project and turned it to the NBC station. All we kept seeing was the twin towers billowing with smoke as reports were shouting out confused messages. At the bottom of the screen was minute by minute information scrolling across the screen. The footage kept showing the planes flying into the twin towers. The images became ingrained in my mind since they were played over about 12 times on this HUGE screen in front of my face. I sat there as my stomach dropped to my knees. I could not believe what I was seeing. Not a word was spoken nor did anyone move for the entire 40minute class period. We all just sat and watched. Everyone was in disbelief, upset, confused, aw struck, mortified, etc. As the bell rang we barely moved until my teacher reminded us that we had to go to our next class. Classes were scheduled for the rest of the day but in each class we just sat and starred at the television sets. I was confused all day until I went home to find my parents home early from work. I watched the television now seeing images of the tragedies in Philadelphia and Washington DC over and over again in combination with the twin tower collisions and destruction. I realized that what had happened was not a dream and at that moment I all I wanted to do was deny that I was human. How could a person could do such hurtful things to another human being? I will forever be confused by this question and will probably never find an answer.

One year later I was reminded of the tragedy first hand as I traveled with my marching band to New York City for the Macy's Day parade. We spent a whole day at ground zero as we took part in a memorial service. I remember seeing rubble still spread around, the excavation attempts still going on, the damage to the neighboring buildings, the pain and emotions felt by everyone there and the darkness that overshadowed the area. But the most memorable things I remember are the numbers of people there visiting, the memorials set up, and the hope that overcame the despair in the air.

I think the memories are so detailed because this was a major event for my generation, somewhat like the bombing of Hiroshima or the Vietnam War or many other major events were for previous generations. The memories are not always happy but they remind us of the pain people can cause as we hope for a brighter future in which suffering can be eliminated. I think most people remember the day in such detail and will probably never forget it. These life altering occurrences make you realize just how hurtful people can be and how precious life is.

ALWAYS remember to live life to the fullest because you never know what tomorrow may bring and to tell everyone you love "I Love You" as often as you can because you do not know if it will be the last time. For today remember and pray for all those directly and indirectly affected by the tragedies of 9/11 including the people, families, and for the peace that will stop any of these kinds of hatred filled acts to happen again.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Dorothy--I was in that same class with you...Honors ISS. Never will forget that moment or the people that were around me when it happened.

Ben

P.S. I like your blog--it's thoughtful and it's been too long since we saw each other.