Friday, September 19, 2008

Grateful for Every Penny!

This past spring I was awarded one of a few Drake Alumni Association Scholarships based on academics, involvement, and need. I am glad that I filled out an application and did some foot work in order to be considered because it all paid off. Apply for any and every scholarship opportunity you are qualified for. Who wouldn’t want free money?? I was excited and thankful since school is getting to be astronomically expensive, considering the cost of classes, books, living, etc. I wrote thank you notes to each member of the board….NEVER forget the ‘Thank You’ because think about how you feel when you receive a “thank you”!

The award winners including myself were invited to an “Afternoon Tea” this past Tuesday with Drake University’s President and first lady as well as a few board members of the Drake Alumni Association. I got an invitation in the mail about 2 weeks ago and was supposed to RSVP to the number on the invitation. I called the number thinking that it was a secretary’s number in some academic office. When the individual picked up it was the first lady…shocked that the invite had the phone number and address to the president’s home I was somewhat speechless. After moments of silence I finally said something to the first lady but I forgot to tell her who I was until she asked. I felt like a complete fool but at least we both laughed about it. Take advantage of as many opportunities to build connections, friendships and associations with others as you can.

On Tuesday, it was fun because as I mentioned before it was at the president’s home, which of course was in a ritzy neighborhood. The house was spotlessly decorated in antiques and fine furniture as if it were out of a catalog. It was even better because it was an authentic “Tea” with an elaborate silver tea set, cute sandwiches, servers, and formal dress (error on the side of formal everytime). The time was good because it was short but enjoyable. The board members were all adorable and welcoming as they told us we should think of them as our grandparents here in Des Moines. One of the ladies mentioned all the thank you notes....what did I tell you about thank yous! While each person made a little statement about the board and its great support one of the only male board members kept nodding off which was humorous. However, no one made fun of him….probably because he consistently provides some of the biggest donations to the association. On the way out, the first lady warned us that her cat has managed to go home with others because she hides under cars so we should check our car before we left...interesting? To the members of the alumni association....THANK YOU for all of your continued support for Drake Students!

1 comment:

Adam Kaduce said...

Hey Dorothy,
It's Adam Kaduce, I was wondering where you got the photos from the Alumnea Tea Event. I'd love to have copies if you have them. Could you email me with how you got them?? Adam.Kaduce@drake.edu
THANKS!!!
Adam