Monday, September 1, 2008

How To Fit In at College

As humans we have this need to fit into any environment we are in because no one wants to be an outcast. When we visit another city, country, etc we try to dress and act like everyone else in the area. "When in Rome do as the Romans". I do not think people will point and mock visitors considering everyone is a visitor at some time in their life, plus people are too worried about their own lives to care. So why do we try so hard?

We all want to feel accepted, liked, and 'normal'. For everyone it starts out sometime in the elementary years when it becomes apparent that people are different. Up to that point in life, it did not matter if your shirt tag said Abercrombie or OshKosh, if the people you played with where apart of the ‘cool crowd’, or if you were a girl in a size 2 or a size 16. At that pivotal age kids begin to realize that differences exist between them and others. Certain things and people become ‘normal’, ‘cool’, ‘dorky’, ‘losers’, etc. In junior high what you wear and who you hang out with becomes the most important thing in life. You would rather be dead than caught wearing Wal-Mart clothes while hanging out with the nerds. In high school what your reputation, looks, and hobbies become important. You have to spend an hour getting ready for school where you deny you’re in the band and pretend as though you have drank before. Throughout these years people try so hard to fit in and be accepted that they put themselves to the side and ignore their true passions.

In college it all changes, if you want it to. Most students become adults and realize what is truly important to them and begin to live for themselves. It becomes too difficult trying to find out who you are and where you want life to go that fitting in becomes an old past time. Trying out things that interest you even though your best friend does not do it allows you to meet more people and fit without any effort. Do not worry if you cannot let go, some people continue to live for others, try to fit in, compare who they slept with or how much they drank.

The best way to fit in at college is to not try to fit in but just be yourself. Naturally you find your place and your friends and fitting in isn’t necessary. People will accept you for who you are while you live for what’s important to you.

“When in college, do as you normally would to be happy not as other tell you”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for inviting me Dot! Not a truer statement has been written about college. -alice

Unknown said...

I went into my first quarter of college with no idea hwat to expect. I have grown up in a big family with 6 kids, so alone time with the parents did not happen often. As I grow older I begin to feel like my relationship with my parents is growing weaker and weaker and the distress is killing me. I origionally was supposed to wrestle in college but decided not to mainly because of my older brother telling me that i would have more fun partying with everyone. I am here to say that my whole first quarter consisted of smoking weed multiple times a day every day, drinkin on the weekends, and not really working out anymore. I became less social, didnt get a job and didnt join any type of groups or clubs like I origionally planned. I syopped going to church completely where as i used to go every sunday, which caused my relationship with God to weaken.
Luckily my grades were ok, probly because I became so antisocial that all I did was study and smoke weed and play guitar, so the possitives of this are that I got smarter, improved my skills as a guitarist /musician and was high pretty much the whole time.
But I lefy that place with only one new friend that I kept in touch with over break.
So now I am back for the second quarter living with all these familiar faces, but I barely can remember any of their names.
Someone Please give me some tips!