Sunday, November 9, 2008

Weekend In Drew Carey's Home

While it snowed and dropped about 30 degrees in Des Moines, I was lucky enough to spend my weekend in Cleveland, Ohio. I had never been to Cleveland but even better the entire weekend was free.

I am a fairly new member of NCPA, National Community Pharmacy Association, a professional pharmacy organization but glad to be a member. A few weeks ago the organization asked the Dean’s from a few Midwest pharmacy college to nominate/seek applications from students interested in attending a pharmacy management conference. At first I was not interested learning that the conference cost upwards of $700. As a college student that is a ton of ramen, gas, and weekends out. However, I found out that NCPA along with some drug distributors were willing to provide scholarships that would pay for registration and lodging ($700+) for select applicants. My tune changed and it became HECK YES, Dorothy is applying! Even if I did not get the scholarship it was worth a try, I never turn down opportunities like these. It was free money for a conference where I could network, learn about my profession, and get away for the weekend. I turned in an application 1 hour before the deadline thinking I did not have a chance to get a scholarship considering this opportunity was open to hundreds of pharmacy students throughout the Midwest. A few days later I got a call offering me the scholarship…WOOHOO! Wait….I forgot I still had to get to Cleveland. Flying out of Des Moines is never cheap ($460 for my round trip, with layovers included), but thanks to another pharmacy organization at Drake that I took part in (I know I am involved in too many things…but it pays off eventually), I had another scholarship to help pay for traveling expenses.

So I traveled to Cleveland where I spent two and half days learning about pharmacy ownership and management. There was only one other pharmacy student, otherwise the other attendees were all pharmacist to become pharmacy owners or current pharmacy owners (owning one or a few pharmacies). As a student I felt a little intimidated by a lot of what some of these people were accomplishing but at the same time they were interested in what I was doing as a student. It was great to network and learn from these fellow professionals as well as be inspired by their success. Sounds nerdy I know, but I really took away a lot of information and am interested in the topics presented. What was even better was that I got great meals all weekend, compared to the can meals most college students try to fake “gourmet”, got to watch tons of channels, compared to the 5 channel access in my apartment, and got an entire king size bed to myself, compared to my short twin bed. I had always shared hotel rooms with my family or friends for cost or convenience reasons so this was the first time I got a room to myself. I felt spoiled and guilty but at the same time took advantage by fully enjoying it.

This weekend not only did I visit 3 different states, learned a great deal of life applicable information, networked with some successful people, and relaxed, but I got to do it all on other people’s tab. I could do this more often!

1 comment:

John S said...

Hey, this is John Stelmachowicz from NCPA Student Affairs. Your experience sounds great from this past weekend's Ownership Academy and Workshop. I would love for you to post some comments on your experience on the new NCPA Student Affairs Blog, which I have started to track school visits, important dates and annoucements etc etc.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks,

JS