Sunday, June 27, 2010

Ambulatory Care: Internal Medicine Rotation

So my first week at the internal medicine clinic has flown by. It felt weird to return to Des Moines because it did not feel like home. After the first week, I am back into things here.

I have started my ambulatory care rotation at a physician's clinic in Des Moines with a pharmacist, one of the Drake faculty members. Ambulatory care means that the site has to focus on outpatient service. So at this rotation site I help the staff pharmacist monitor, assess and modify patients' warfarin therapy. Warfarin is a potent anti-coagulant, a medicine that thins blood. Many people have to be on it if they have underlying heart valve problems, history of clots or problems with circulation. The medication is very effective but it has to be kept in a certain range so that the blood is not too thin or too thick, hence the aggressive monitoring. Some patients come in every two weeks while others once a month. The pharmacist and now me are in charge of following these patients and their progress.

Also at the clinic I work with the physicians and most of their diabetic patients. I will review a patient's history, complaints and glucose readings before they come in for appointments and discuss with the physician what I think the patient may need help with. With these patients I also provide them with diabetes education including how to use glucose meters, what glucose numbers mean, how to take their medications and non medication strategies to help improve their life.

I really enjoy the clinic because I get to talk to patients throughout the day. I get time to talk to the patient and the physicians and make choices that can help improve people's lives. I feel like I am making a difference even if it is small.

No comments: