Thursday, August 28, 2008

How Was your First Week Back?

My first week of the new semester went SUPER slow. I guess my brain and body are getting used the learning and the early mornings.

My P2 year will be full of a LOT of reading, some good, some bad, none for my own enjoyment because I won't have time. My classes are going to be hard as I was already assuming for but I am not going to worry yet.....that's for finals. I think I will survive and if not, I can always become a mystery shopper or food critic (a secret passion of mine).

Also with the new accreditation standards for pharmacy students, I am going to have a TON of 'experience' hours that I have to complete outside of class. The bad thing is we have to complete about 45 hours per semester as volunteer hours in addition to all the classes we have. It sucks because it takes up a lot of time that we are not getting paid. At the same time I understand how important it is to get some experience before we have to pick rotation sites and before we get out into the working world....but are so many really necessary?

All of my professors will be good as usual since Drake has some of the BEST faculty and mentors. They not only are some of the smartest people I know, but they are truly here to teach and they make student learning their number one priority. I am slightly worried about one lecture class since the professor seems really nervous every time he gives a lecture....but I guess trying to get the attention of 120 students at 8am would make me unnerved too.

I am a TA for two classes this year. A P1 class and a health sciences class. I realized that I really like the positions and could get used to teaching/mentoring. I will have to see if these feelings last through the semester.

How was your first week? Any good stories to share? Students, teachers, parents, friends? Let me know!

No comments: